Here is a huge list of meatless/vegetarian/Lenten meal ideas. For today though, my friend, Lyn, gave me this organic Fettuccine Alfredo recipe that can be made meatless or with chicken. Last night we served it with orange slices and fermented pickles – read more about those in the comment section at Lynn’s guest interview (different Lynn).
***By the way, to make this a healthy fast food dish (find more ideas at that link), just make the alfredo sauce below and serve it over hot pasta. Easy!
ORGANIC FETTUCCINE ALFREDO
- Start cooking 1 # of organic whole-wheat spaghetti or fettuccine noodles
- Butter a 9×13-baking dish (no Teflon!)
- Omit the following for a meatless meal: cut 2-3 boneless chicken breasts into chunks and place around the bottom of the pan. (Use chicken from an all-natural farm – no hormones, pasture-raised, and not fed junk.)
- You can also add some veggies on top of the chicken if you’d like: red or green peppers, asparagus, green beans, summer squash, onions, mushrooms, tomatoes, etc. (If you add both veggies and chicken, decrease the amount of pasta a little or it won’t all fit into a 9×13.)
- Make the white / alfredo sauce:
- Melt 1 stick/1/2 c. of organic butter in a medium saucepan, saute a few cloves of fresh garlic (however many you’d like, I like a lot), add 8 T. flour and whisk until smooth. Add 1 t. sea salt & pepper to your taste preference and cook on very low heat for 3 minutes.
- Add 3 3/4 milk or cream (or I usually use a combination) while stirring with a whisk – for extra nutrition I also usually substitute some homemade chicken stock for part of the milk or cream.
- Add another 1/4 c. of softened butter, bring to gentle boil, and cook 3-5 minutes.
- At this point I add whatever I feel like: onion powder, Italian seasonings, more sea salt & pepper if needed, parsley.
- Remove from heat, stir in 2/3 c. fresh parmesan cheese until melted.
- Drain pasta and mix it with the sauce, then spread it all over the chicken.
- Bake at 350 for 55 minutes, and then I sprinkle on some shredded mozzarella cheese and bake another 15 minutes or so.
I’d love to hear if you like it!
- Healthy fats don’t make you fat and they’re not heart-killers, either!
- Easy homemade bread/buns/cinnamon rolls
- Is Fluoride safe?
- Kelly’s yummy and healthy popcorn!